Brisbane Times

Fears two buildings lost as bushfire rages south-west of Toowoomba

Brisbane Times logo Brisbane Times 05/12/2019 01:15:00 Toby Crockford and Matt Dennien

 Video provided by Nine News

Evacuated residents have spent the night in temporary accommodation as an out-of-control bushfire continues to threaten their communities in Queensland's Toowoomba region.

There are unconfirmed reports overnight that two buildings were destroyed in a blaze at Millmerran, about 75km south-west of Toowoomba.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Service spokeswoman said there were 46 bushfires across the state on Thursday and only one urgent evacuation order remained in place.

The order urged residents in Cypress Gardens and Forest Ridge - in the direct path of the Millmerran fire - to flee their homes immediately.

QFES Assistant Commissioner John Bolger told ABC Radio Brisbane on Thursday that firefighters believed two structures had been consumed by the Millmerran bushfire, but fire crews had not been able to confirm these reports and were not sure whether houses or sheds were involved.

a close up of clouds in the sky: The bushfire at Millmerran, south-west of Toowoomba. © QFES - FacebookThe bushfire at Millmerran, south-west of Toowoomba. The QFES warning on Thursday morning for Cypress Gardens and Forest Ridge residents detailed that the fire had forced the closure of the Gore Highway.

"Fire crews are working to contain the fire but firefighters may not be able to protect every property. You should not expect a firefighter at your door," the warning read.

"People in the area will be affected by smoke, which will reduce visibility and air quality."

The warning explained that evacuation centre at the Millmerran Community Cultural Centre - on 42 Walpole Street, Millmerran - was no longer open.

"An (alternative) evacuation centre is now open at the Millmerran Showgrounds, Millmerran Cecil Plains Road, Millmerran," the statement read.

"The Gore Highway is closed between Cypress Gardens and the BP at Captains Mountain,

"Residents should evacuate towards Millmerran, however, those who have already left the area should not return as it is not safe to do so."

An emergency alert remains in place after Queensland Police declared an exclusion zone in Cypress Gardens, bound by Groszman Street, Cypress Avenue, Nine Mile and Antonio roads, on Wednesday.

High temperatures and gusty winds are expected to create challenging conditions for fire crews later this week, with a "very high" fire danger present from today onwards.

This includes a "severe" fire rating for the Wide Bay-Burnett and Granite Belt regions.

Widespread 40-degree heat is predicted for much of south-east Queensland across Friday and Saturday, and is expected to put the coastal fire district on a similar rating Friday.

The Red Cross has opened its Register.Find.Reunite service for those impacted by the Millmerran blaze.

5. joulukuuta 2019 3:15:00 Categories: Brisbane Times CBS News

ShareButton
ShareButton
ShareButton
  • RSS
Suomi sisu kantaa
NorpaNet Beta 1.1.0.41819 - Firebird 3.0 WI-V6.3.4.32939

TetraSys Oy.

TetraSys Oy.