© Getty Images
North Queensland Cowboys legend Matt Scott has spoken publicly for the first time since suffering the mild stroke that cut short his NRL career.
The 34-year-old former Queensland Maroons and Australia prop suffered the frightening health scare the day after playing in the Cowboys' Round 22 loss to Newcastle.
"It was a huge shock considering I'd played a game of NRL the night before and then the next day I couldn't walk," Scott said when asked about his stroke on Friday.
"It was a little bit scary but I've had a huge amount of support from both family and the community and happy with how my recovery's going."
Scott was set to retire at the end of the 2019 NRL campaign but was forced to immediately hang up the boots following his stroke.
He revealed his recovery is still a work in progress but said he is expected to return to full health in time.
"My recovery's coming along pretty well, a little hiccup with the shoulder along the way and it's going to be a long road, I'm certainly not 100 percent there yet but the doctor's happy with how I'm progressing and confident I'll get a full recovery," Scott said.
Scott made 268 NRL appearances for the Cowboys after making his debut for the Townsville club in Round 19 of the 2004 season against Parramatta.
He also played 22 Origins for the Queensland Maroons and 22 Tests for Australia.
"I would have loved it to have gone different but obviously it wasn't going to be on my terms anyway, I'd already dislocated my shoulder previously so things weren't going completely to plan," Scott added when asked if he had any regrets about the way his impressive career ended.
"But I'm really happy with my career and everything I've been able to achieve.
"So I'm not really disappointed that I didn't finish the year off, it would have been nice to do so but like I said I'm just really happy with what I've been able to achieve."