© Paul Miller/AAP PHOTOSMichael Clarke says the full story about Australia's 2018 ball-tampering scandal hasn't been told.
Former captain Michael Clarke has tipped further fuel on a reignited debate about Australia's sandpaper scandal, claiming it is obvious that others outside the shamed trio knew about the illegal plot.
Cameron Bancroft's recent comment that Australian bowlers' knowledge of the sandpaper ploy is "self-explanatory" sent shock waves throughout cricket circles.
The integrity team at Cricket Australia (CA) has contacted Bancroft, offering him a chance to report any new information, but is yet to hear back.
Bancroft was issued a nine-month ban by CA in 2018 for his role in the saga, having used sandpaper on the ball before stuffing the evidence down his pants during a Test in Cape Town.
Skipper Steve Smith and vice-captain David Warner were stripped of their leadership titles and given year-long suspensions.
CA's formal investigation cleared everybody else in the touring party of any wrongdoing or knowledge of the illegal plot.
Questions about that finding have lingered since but rarely been asked publicly during recent years.
Australia's first-choice attack of Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc and Nathan Lyon played in that infamous Test.
Video: Positive case's close contacts return negative COVID-19 tests (Sky News Australia)
Clarke, who retired in 2015, cast fresh doubt on the notion that bowlers could have been in the dark about the plan to cheat.
"They've got to hold the ball to bowl," Big Sports Breakfast host Clarke said on his morning radio program.
"If you are playing sport at the highest level you know your tools that good, it's not funny.
"Can you imagine that ball being thrown back to the bowler and the bowler not knowing about it? Please.
"I love how the articles in the paper are 'it is such a big surprise' ... what's the surprise?"
Clarke says CA has a problem because "they've tried to sweep it under the carpet and not come out and tell the full story".
CA high-performance boss Ben Oliver, whose predecessor Pat Howard was dispatched to South Africa to help the organisation find answers about the cheating scandal, claimed on Monday that it had been "a thorough investigation".
"Our integrity team have reached out to Cam, again extending the invitation to him if he does have any new information," Oliver told reporters.
"We've extended that invitation and reminded him about that opportunity - if he does have any new information, in addition to what his input was into the original investigation.
"There is an avenue for him to do that. Likewise for others if they do feel they have any new information.
"We haven't had a response, but in saying that we're operating on different time zones."