© Brooke Christey.The x-ray showing the hook in Spencer's stomach.
A dog owner is calling for people who go fishing along the Brisbane River to take their rubbish with them after her pooch was rushed to the vets after ingesting a fish hook.
Brooke Christey was out walking her dachshund Spencer at Newstead Park near the Brisbane River over the weekend when she noticed him chewing on something.
She said when she looked to see what he was eating, she saw fishing line hanging out of his mouth.
"When we were trying to get it out, he was a bit uncomfortable and so we rushed him straight to the vet," she said.
An X-ray at the Animal Emergency Centre at Woolloongabba revealed her beloved pet had swallowed a fish hook with a bit of bait still attached to it.
Spencer underwent emergency surgery and had to stay in hospital overnight for observation, Ms Christey said.
"It was lodged in his stomach so we are quite lucky there was no serious damage to his major organs," she said.
"The stomach lining repairs quite quickly, the vet said.
"He is on antibiotics to void off infection, making sure if it was a dirty hook that he doesn't get any kinds of infection in his stomach."
© Brooke ChristeyConcerned dog owner Brooke Christey has shared images of her two-year-old dachschund Spencer who swallowed a fish hook at a park along the Brisbane River over the weekend.
She said the $6000 procedure could have been avoided if people cleaned up after themselves.
"People need to be aware ... it could be a child, could be wildlife, could be anyone," she said.
"(It) could be another dog and not everyone has $6000 because someone is irresponsible."